News reports say 8000 teachers and public school advocates have registered for the education rally on November 19th in the Statehouse.
That is truly an impressive number.
I have been watching the General Assembly as a public education advocate for 23 years, and 8000 would make this the largest public education rally the Statehouse has ever seen during all those years.
I offer below a reprint of my education budget analysis issued last May. I thought it would be helpful to all interested in the rally to review the details of the education budget passed last April. The following analysis was issued on May 1, 2019 in “Vic’s Statehouse Notes #337,” which provided:
- a summary of changes in the 2019-2021 budget
- a comparison of the new tuition support budget with the six previous budgets
- a listing of three chunks of new money totaling $763 million over two years
- an analysis of the 70% voucher for private schools costing $19 over two years
- an analysis of the $31.5 million going to School Scholarships for private school tuition
Insufficient and Diverting Money to Private Schools: An Analysis of the Current Education Budget – reprinted from Notes #337 dated May 1, 2019
Click here to read Vic's Statehouse Notes #337.